Common causes of muscle pain
You don’t have to be a gym junkie to experience muscle pain. It can be caused by:
- overuse of a muscle
- any kind of physical activity you’re not used to
- an injury (strains and sprains)
- muscle tension
If you have muscle pain and you are concerned please speak to your healthcare professional for further advice.
Advice for how to get muscle relief
Here are some things you can do to help relieve muscle pain caused by injury or overuse:
- Rest the affected area
- You can apply an icepack or ice wrapped in a towel, or else use heat therapy. Do not apply ice directly to your skin.
- In conjunction with hot/cold therapy, you could try a pain relief option such as Nurofen Express 200mg Liquid Capsules.
- To help relieve muscle pain caused by exercise or stress:
- Gently stretch the affected muscle and keep moving with some gentle exercise
- Avoid very strenuous or high-impact activities for a while, after the injury
- Use relaxation techniques, such as meditation, to reduce tension
- Try a medicated gel for pain relief such as Nurofen Joint & Back Pain Relief Max Strength 10% Gel.
Prevention is the best way to help avoid muscle pain
There are some simple things you can do to help reduce muscle pain:
- Warm up before, and cool down after exercise
- Exercise regularly to keep your muscles in good condition
- Avoid exercising when you are very tired
- Stay well hydrated
- Keep your home and work environment free of clutter, to help avoid accidents
- Have a good stretch every now and then, especially if you work at a desk.